Monday, August 13, 2012

Literally.......

One of the things that amuses me is how the Dancing Queen translates everything literally.  And I do mean literally.  Which means all sayings and colloquialisms have to be used with extreme caution, including those that involve missing body parts (such as lost heads or cats stealing tongues etc). I have had many an incident (usually when tired) where I have used a common expression without thinking only for both of us to end up completely confused (though often amused) as she has taken what I have said at complete face value.  As the Fat Controller from Thomas the Tank Engine likes to say "I have caused confusion and delay". 

However what is causing slightly less amusement at the moment are the current advertisements for various Disneyland resorts around the world which have the banner "where dreams come true".  Again this is being taken at complete face value and I am forever finding the Dancing Queen on the computer trying to book a holiday to one just so all her dreams can come true. (I have given up trying to explain the power of false advertising).  She can even tell me all the different room features of the associated hotels and which Disneyland parks offer what (along of course with the obligatory dream promise).  She certainly scores ten points for trying - we had a rough week last week so last night she gave me the ever so convincing sell job that I should book us a holiday to the one in Hong Hong as she calls it (Hong Kong for everyone else), so I could get my wish of a return trip home and she could get all her dreams fulfilled just in time for her 8th birthday which would just be the best birthday present ever (ie two dreams for the price of one).  Even the fact that the video clips on the website of some of her favourite characters for that particular Disneyland were in Cantonese were not sufficient to dissuade her - but then why should they?  She is the child that used to watch Maisy in Swedish and Madeline in Spanish for hours without complaining.  Maybe dreams in her world are bilingual?  Either way, she is very good at telling me each morning what her dreams/wish list is, just in case I fulfill her dreams and act on the Disneyland resort webpages she has so kindly bookmarked on my computer for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment